BUS 54 – Entrepreneurship
Bronx Community College
- Identify the dimensions of poverty that impact students and their larger community
- Recognize and discuss successful role models of businesses from inner cities and/or under-resourced communities.
- Develop business ideas that can be a solution to at least of one of the dimensions of poverty identified.
For outcome 1: Show some documentaries on some dimensions of poverty such as homelessness, hunger, health care etc. Ask students then to share their experiences from their own personal understanding, using story-telling techniques.
For outcome 2: Explore resources such as ICIC, MWBE networks to discover success stories and document them.
For outcome 3: Brainstorm ideas to address challenges identified in outcome 1 using techniques like design thinking, improv etc.
Tools from Humanities that I plan to use
- Video record the elevator pitch
- Ask the team to present the group ideas and solutions in the form of a play
- Encourage the students to use improv, poems or even rap songs to express themselves
Texts/videos that I plan to use
Urban Business Initiatives – Success Stories: https://icic.org/urban-business-initiatives/inner-city-100/ic100-success-stories/
Inner City Business Growth: https://icic.org/research/inner-city-business-growth/
Helping Entrepreneurs of Color Grow their Business – Early Insights from the Ascend 2020 Initiative (ICIC | UW Foster School of Business | JPMorgan Chase & Co., 12/2018) http://icic.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/ICIC_Ascend2020_Report_r8_final_post_v2.pdf
This is work in progress.